There are numerous designs of a shipping container. The majority is what is termed “dry van containers”, these carry general freight. A sea container is a standard-sized rectangular box used to transport freight by highway, rail, and ship. For a sea container to be used for international shipping it is required to have a current CSC certificate. We are CSC certified and we can put you in touch with international shipping agents who can arrange this for you. We personally do not ship containers abroad. International shipping containers can range from 10ft to 40ft long and must conform to the International Standards Organization standards.
A capacity of the shipping container
- A standard ISO 20ft shipping container has a capacity of 33.1m3
- Extra tall shipping containers called high-cube containers are available at 9.5ft (2.89m) high.
Difference between used and new containers
A “used” or “second hand” container is an ex-service shipping line unit that has been retired from their fleet which is now dedicated primarily to storage usage. A “single-trip” or “new” container is basically a container. it has been manufactured in China.
New shipping containers
- A wipe clean 28mm marine ply floor. It is specially sealed and certified as being rot and vermin proof.
- Capable of being stacked
- Built to a full marine specification – manufactured from corrosion resistant Corten steel.
- Available in a range of colors.
- Factory fitted lock box with additional anti-jemmy lugs are fitted to the doors – this shrouds the padlock and protects the container from forced entry.
- Protected with marine grade paint.
- Fitted with waist-high locking bars (door handles) – for ease of use.
- Fitted with additional ventilation – to ensure condensation is not a problem.
The cost of buying a container depends on many factors such as whether any accessories have been fitted or modifications made their age and size, and the delivery charge.
You can create a custom shipping container. A standard shipping container has such a good basic design that it can be converted into many custom uses. It can be shortened to fit a specific space or use and can be modified/ converted to a host of modular uses. It can also be lined, insulated, fitted with additional doors, windows and electrics.
You can book a non-standard container. shipping oversized cargo, the dimensions and weight determine. the container type best accommodates your shipment. This information and a photograph or spec sheet must be submitted to the freight forwarder, who will handle the booking with the shipping company. They will give you a detailed assessment of fees and customize your cargo solution.
- You can fit a total of 10 pallets on the floor of a 20ft container dependent on the size of your pallets.
- We can supply the interlocking twist locks to comply with health & safety regulations.
- You can lift over obstructions. This can be arranged by way of contract lift utilizing specialized cranes and a site-specific Risk Assessment will be required to determine crane size.
- As an average works on 52ft, you can vehicle deliver your container?